I can see light at the end of the winter tunnel. However it isn’t quite here yet, this week has been a little cool so I always start craving soups, stews and chilis. I made this one and wow was it ever delicious and hit the spot. I used homemade chicken broth which is great for boosting immune system and supporting digestion. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, I also included a couple of changes that I made to it and it turned out great. I even added a scoop of homemade coconut yogurt to give it a creamier flavour and it was awesome!
White Bean Chicken Chilli
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (seeded and chopped – I used a can of green chilis instead because I had it on hand)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 1/2 tsps Cumin
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 cups Organic Chicken Broth (divided)
- 3 cups White Navy Beans (cooked and divided)
- 1lb Chicken Thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1/2 cup Frozen Corn (I omitted this because I’m not a huge fan of corn)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Lime (sliced into wedges)
- Heat oil in a large pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeno and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the stock and beans to the pot and stir to combine. Place the chicken in the pot, cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook at a gentle boil for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked though.
- Remove the cooked chicken thighs from the pot and carefully shred the chicken with two forks. Return the chicken and any juices back to the pot with the remaining beans, frozen corn kernels and cilantro. Stir to combine and season with additional salt if needed. Allow soup to cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Divide the chili into bowls and serve with a lime wedge. Enjoy!