By Dr. Michelle Hagel, ND
Coffee is something that most of us feel we can’t live without, it is the first thing we do in the morning, and almost feel that we cannot function without it. We absolutely can, and if appropriate I challenge you to try! For individuals struggling with anxiety and fatigue, coffee can be one of the worst things for us. Yes it gives us that initial boost but it can be doing some harm to our adrenal health and of course increasing our anxiety. People struggling with anxiety often feel tired/burnt out so coffee is a common go to. I’d like to present a few alternative options that can give you an energy boost without taxing your adrenal glands or worsen anxiety.
- Starting your day with a glass of lemon water. I think you’ll be shocked to see how good that water feels and how much energy actually comes from just lemon water.
- Mushrooms – I’ll mention my top 4 picks, these are often purchased as a powder to be used as a coffee substitute.
– Chaga – These mushrooms are backed with nutrients that are immune-boosting, good for our heart health, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory. This can help with weight loss, digestive issues, blood sugar balancing, and lowering cholesterol levels.
– Lion’s Mane – this was one of my favorites when I was in school needing focus and concentration while trying to learn about things like all the benefits of mushrooms. Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, immune supportive, and digestive protectant.
– Turkey Tail- Also anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, immune supportive, and digestive protectant.
– Reishi- Has been found to reduce stress, support sleep concerns and reduce fatigue. It also carries the other health properties of anti-oxidant, immune support, and anti-inflammatory
- Matcha Green tea – Most of us know that green tea is good for us but Matcha green tea contains more chlorophyll (detoxifying properties) more amino acid and antioxidants than its steeped green tea counterpart. It is wonderful at supporting brain functions like memory and concentration. While also containing L-theanine which induces relaxation and decreases stress levels. It protects the liver, promotes heart health, reduces inflammation, and can even aid in weight loss.
Coffee alternative elixir
1 cup Water
1 1/2 tbsp Cacao Powder
1/2 tsp Maple Syrup
1/8 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Maca Powder (optional)
1/16 oz Lion’s Mane Powder (optional)
4 Ice Cubes
3/4 cup Oat Milk
Bring the water to a boil. In a blender, add the just-boiled water, cacao powder, maple syrup, sea salt, maca powder and lion’s mane powder, if using. Blend until smooth, making sure you allow space for the heat to escape. In a glass, add the ice cubes and then add the milk. Pour the cacao mixture on top and stir to combine. Enjoy!
Coconut Matcha Latte! This is one of my favorite options I generally don’t find the raw honey necessary as it is very creamy and delicious without the honey.
1 cup Water (hot)
1/2 cup Canned Coconut Milk
1 tsp Green Tea Powder
1 tbsp Coconut Butter
1 tbsp Raw Honey (optional)
In your blender, combine the hot water, coconut milk, matcha, coconut butter, and raw honey (if using). Blend until creamy and frothy. Pour into a mug and enjoy! Add the ice cubes and then add the milk. Pour the cacao mixture on top and stir to combine. Enjoy!